The Entrepreneur-in-Residence is responsible for coaching start-up founders to build their idea into an innovative venture that has extensive growth potential. S/he will effectively identify significant growth strategies for start-ups, teach and apply lean start-up principles, help develop the case for investment, define MVPs, help companies pivot/iterate to establish product/market fit, and move clients agilely toward commercialization. This leadership position will have the rare opportunity to help companies create at the leading edge of technical development in both products and services, by leveraging start-up ecosystem assets, in a high-profile position with widespread community impact.
S/he will have a talent for motivating diverse groups of individuals through the learning cycle by applying validation processes to drive results. S/he has had unique experience in starting businesses, while also knowing what it is to drive innovation within a developing corporate structure.
What you'll do
- Assist founders to build new ventures, services and offerings
- Be driven by Lean Start-up principles
- Help clients develop their Business Model Canvas
- Create and own a positive vision of achieving success in a venture capital investment market
- Help iterate and scale ideas aggressively to exceed investor expectations
- Guide the creation of product prototypes and pilots through application of lean validation methods
- Know when to act in the best interest of the client in recommending changing direction to achieve product/market fit and maximize market opportunities
- Motivate the start-up team to do what is needed to succeed
What you'll need
- Experience as a real-world entrepreneur; strong consideration for having built businesses with significant scalability potential
- Business chops ? strong understanding of the high-tech digital industry and emerging market and sales channels
- Builder focus with the capability to fix problems as they occur
- Corporate experience that spans across start-ups and venture capital environments
- Strong team builder with excellent organizational, superior interpersonal communication skills and the ability to set priorities, problem-solve, multi-task and iterate in a dynamic, rapidly changing environment
- Prior responsibility for building an innovation culture, inclusive of hiring, and training
- Robust network of contacts to bring in ideas and expedite current projects
- Prior experience in an accelerator environment either as a mentor or a mentee would be an asset
We're looking for
A little bit about us
Propel ICT ("Propel") was founded in 2003. Propel is a network of people and organizations who are volunteering their time and working together to help entrepreneurs build successful new companies based in Atlantic Canada and selling to the world. Propel believes that reshaping the Atlantic Canadian economy hinges on our ability to work together and we are creating an ecosystem of entrepreneurs, innovators, mentors, educators and builders that help ideas take root and grow into successful companies.
The Launch 36 accelerator program ("L36") was launched in 2011. L36 moves selected entrepreneurs to an investor-ready position by focusing on the development of founding teams, sound business models and multi-year financial and customer acquisition strategies. In order to accomplish this, L36 provides each team with access to qualified start-up coaches, subject matter experts, strategic development advisors, peer support and North American venture capital firms and angel investors. This process, while similar in approach to other incubators and accelerators, bears one important distinction: it is not predicated on delivering the L36 program from a single physical location. It can't for two reasons: first, no single community in Atlantic Canada has a big enough pool of start-up entrepreneurs and expert mentors to support an incubator of L36's size and reach, and second, the travel costs within Atlantic Canada would make participation cost prohibitive for companies located in the provinces outside a central location.
Looking forward, Propel will become the global leader in decentralized new venture acceleration, taking entrepreneurs throughout Atlantic Canada from concept phase to successful operating companies. We will do this by creating a dispersed network model, delivering expertise and support via intense collaboration across the four Atlantic Canadian provinces. Through its Pre-Accelerator program, Propel has set an aggressive five-year target to prepare 288 early-stage companies for venture capital investment in Atlantic Canada and achieve initial market success. Through the Accelerator Program for later stage companies, Propel has set a goal to accelerate the path to growth stage for 132 companies.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Primary Location: This position is located in Atlantic Canada (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island or Newfoundland & Labrador), but we are open to applicants from outside the region willing to re-locate.
From our start in New Brunswick in 2004, Propel ICT has grown to become one of the top accelerators in Canada for high-potential start-ups. In the 10 years since inception, Propel-ICT launched companies have attracted more than $1 Billion in Venture Capital to the region. Notable success stories include two ?Venture Deal of the Year for Canada? companies. Propel-ICT employs a decentralized model, delivering its top-rated accelerator program in cooperation with select community partners in cities across the region. Our expansion to all four Atlantic Provinces is currently underway as part of a five-year plan started in the fall of 2014, and as a result this EIR position can be resident in any of these locations.
Eligible team members (up to 2 positions available) will receive a strong earnings package, including competitive pay, subsidized insurance coverage, flexible scheduling, training and development, and generous vacation benefits. Travel, primarily within the Atlantic Provinces, will be required for this position.
See more about our East Coast Accelerator Program at: launch36.ca