Join the American Forest Foundation's WoodsCamp Technology team to help build technologies for reaching and engaging family forest owners across the US. The American Forest Foundation works to protect and measurably increase the clean water, wildlife habitat and sustainable wood supplies coming from family-owned forests, by working with landowners, partners, stakeholders and policymakers to address today's important economic and environmental issues.
The Techincal Director is responsible for planning and leading all technical efforts for Woodscamp Technologies Inc. This multifaceted position can be broken down into three main categories:
Lead planning, development and maintenance of all internal and external software products. Implement standardized development practices such as build pipelines, coding standards, source control, deployment pipelines, documentation and automated testing.
Orchestrate and maintain all cloud infrastructure used to power Woodscamp products and processes. This includes, but is not limited to, data pipelines, data mining, monitoring, automated backups & disaster recovery, scaling and security.
Responsible for management of all Woodscamp engineering staff. Includes training on internal processes and new technologies, scheduling, task delegation and quality assurance. In addition, the technical director acts as liason between engineering and other departments within the Woodscamp organization to facilite coordination on company initiatives.
Bachelor's degree and 8 years of experience as a developer or an equivalent combination of education and work experience. Ability to interpret internal and external business challenges and recommend best technical practices. Ability to lead complex projects. Sophisticated analytical skills and the ability to solve complex technical and business problems. Ability to influence others at senior levels to adopt a new perspective. Deep experience with architecting and maintaining RESTful API's and working with spatial data/technologies.
- A commitment to AFF's mission with a passion for forests and conservation
- Strategic thinker who can implement positive change
- Both personable and flexible with the ability to work under pressure and adapt based on what is learned through experience
- A sound work ethic with the ability to act both independently and as part of a team
- Strong initiative; a self-starter with tenacity, resilience, and high energy
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative environment
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with a wide variety of constituencies, including co-workers, business and community leaders, partners, donors, board members, volunteers, public officials, and the public at large, in a wide variety of settings
- A client service orientation
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail and the ability to effectively plan and problem solve
- Results-oriented with a keen understanding of the steps necessary to achieve goals on deadline and within budget
- Time management skills, with the ability to prioritize, coordinate and manage multiple priorities
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and display discretion, integrity, and tact when dealing with sensitive issues
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed
Proficiency with the following technologies & services:
- AWS cloud platform. Specifically the following services: EC2, RDS, S3, Route53, Lambda, Batch, API Gateway, ECS, DynamoDB, CloudWatch, AWS Auto Scaling, CloudFormation, IAM, Cognito, CloudFront.
- REST API development.
- PHP, Composer, Laravel, PHPUnit
- HTML, CSS, Sass, Less
- Gulp, Webpack
- Git, Bitbucket, CI
- MySQL, Postgres, PostGIS, QGIS
Apply Now to grab this rare opportunity to live in a beautiful vibrant rural community, unleash your creativity and leadership with a growing team that values innovation and impact.
We offer a startup culture with the security of consistent funding and a strong network of partners and assets. If you are passionate about forest and wildlife conservation, rural sustainability and lean startup, there is no better place to put your talent to work.
We are committed to creating a diverse work environment and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
For more information on WoodsCamp, please visit woodscamp.com. For more information on the American Forest Foundation, please visit forestfoundation.org.