As the largest non-profit residential services agency in Nova Scotia, RRSS is proud of its long history of leadership in providing a range of community based supports to persons with intellectual disabilities in the Halifax Metro area. We are committed to social inclusion for the individuals we support and value the contributions of our employees. Currently we are recruiting for the position of: Supervisor (1 Year Term)
Start Date: End of October
Location: Halifax Regional Municipality
What you'll do
The successful candidate will carry out their responsibilities in a dynamic and changing environment under the general direction of the Divisional Director and in collaboration with the leadership team at RRSS. They will do so in accordance with RRSS’s Principles and Philosophies, Code of Ethics and Policies and Procedures. The successful candidate is highly motivated and results driven with strong organizational and communication skills. The Supervisor is responsible for individuals receiving supports and services through person-directed planning; advancing social inclusion and enhancing overall service quality. The successful candidate will oversee, train and provide feedback to direct support staff. This position requires commitment to service quality through the leadership and development of staff teams and lifelong professional learning.
What you'll need
- Bachelor’s Degree in a Human Service Field. Minimum of three years proven experience supporting persons on the autism spectrum.
- Must have a minimum of three years supervisory experience in social work, child care, and/or support providing services to individuals affected with autism.
- Specialized skills and experience working with individuals with autism; promoting communication and adaptive skill development will be considered and asset.
- Proficient understanding of intellectual disabilities from a holistic and lifespan perspective and commitment to advancing social inclusion.
- Demonstrated leadership, coaching, team building, staff training and conflict resolution skills.
- Effective communication in a professional manner at all levels within the organization and an ability to liaise with key partners including; families, professionals, Union and other agencies.
- Demonstrated proficiency in personnel management and leadership including supervision, performance feedback, communication, and time management; taking ownership of issues to resolution.
- The ability to manage multiple priorities effectively.
- The ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively in a fast paced environment.
- The ability to handle a wide range of administrative accountabilities with respect to individuals supported within RRSS, financial and personnel; ensuring accuracy, timeliness and adherence to all internal and regulatory requirements.
We're looking for
A little bit about us
Regional Residential Services Society
Regional Residential Services Society employs over 400 staff to provide resident services on a 24/7 basis. There are 105 full time Residential Counsellors, 175 part time Counsellor Assistants, and up to 100 Relief staff. An increasing number of part time positions are being converted to full time. Residential staff are supported by 22 Supervisors and a central administrative office provides management, human resource, accounting, payroll and program services through its 11 Managers and 6 support staff.
RRSS is committed to the hiring of staff who are properly qualified and who share in the organization's goals, Principles, and Philosophy. Personnel recruitment is ongoing, with an average of 10 to 12 new staff being hired every month. The majority of staff enter RRSS at the level of Relief Counsellor. Once hired, relief staff are able to compete for available permanent part time and full time jobs, as per the provisions of the Collective Agreement.
Staff assist residents in such areas as communication, household management, life skills, personal care, positive strategies in expressing emotions, program planning, and community access.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
This exciting career opportunity offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package. RRSS takes pride in providing an environment that supports family values and a work life balance.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours including on-call responsibilities on a rotating basis.
- Willingness to use personal vehicle in performance of duties.
- Successful applicants are required to provide a Criminal Record Check
Interested applicants must make formal application in writing, including current resume and cover letter letter demonstrating how your skills and experience match the listed qualifications and responsibilities no later than midnight October 6th, 2017. Applicants must be available for an interview within one of week of closing. Applicants will be required to provide a copy of their degree/diploma and official university transcripts if not already on file. Our main office is a smoke free and scent free work environment.
RRSS is committed to inclusive, barrier-free selection and work environments. If contacted in relation to this process, please advise the organization’s representative of your need for accommodation measures to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.
Please note that preference will be given to candidates who most closely meet the knowledge, skills and competencies outlined above. We wish to thank applicants in advance for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.