The Settlement Counselor will support and advocate on behalf of newcomer residents improving their opportunities to become independent and self-sufficient members of our community.
What you'll do
- Meets with clients to assess their settlement strengths and needs
- Assists clients to prioritize their settlement needs and facilitates referrals to internal and external (on site and off site) services
- Provides services in a supportive and culturally sensitive manner
- Facilitates client access to services by arranging appointments with different agencies in the community, assisting clients to fill out forms, writing correspondence, setting up bank accounts, finding permanent accommodations, etc.,
- Assists newcomers to understand their rights and responsibilities as new Canadians
- Maintains updated supply of handouts on services, resources and policies that are relevant to MAGMA clients
- Ensures client confidentiality
- Keeps accurate and up to date files on clients
- Meets weekly with Settlement team to exchange schedules, discuss challenges and best practices
- Case management meetings whenever needed
- Booking appointments for language testing (English/French)
- Organize workshops, outings, etc., relevant for newcomers
- Attend events as deemed necessary including but not limited to:
- Mosaic Festival
- Presidents Reception
What you'll need
- University Degree (Social Services, Social Work, Psychology or related degree)
- 2-3 years actively supporting newcomers and referring newcomers, refugees and immigrants to needed services
- Familiar with community social services networks, excellent writing and communication skills
- Must be able to work flexible hours, including evening and weekends, according to client needs
- Experience in the Non-profit sector is considered an asset
- Must be familiar with privacy rights
- Must be resourceful; requires minimum supervision; able to work independently
- Maintains a supportive and cooperative environment with colleagues.
- Bilingual (English/French)
We're looking for
A little bit about us
The Multicultural Association of The Greater Moncton Area ...
For over 30 years, the Multicultural Association of the Greater Moncton Area has existed for just one reason: to welcome newcomers from around the world, and help them become a valued member of the Canadian family. In every walk of life, new Canadians contribute great things to our culture, our society and our economy. Here, in their new home, they can strive to achieve their dreams in freedom and security; and when our newest members succeed, we all succeed.
At no cost, MAGMA aids in all aspects of settlement, including assisting with:
- Locating and settling into their new homes and schools.
- Learning how to put your professional and entrepreneurial skills into practice locally.
- Learning English or French.
- Engaging both newcomers and members of the local community to get involved as volunteers.
- Promoting multiculturalism through celebrating events.
- Creating a welcoming community through engagement and education.
From the moment of arrival in Greater Moncton through to full integration into the local community, MAGMA is there with the advice, training and support needed to add newcomers' skills and culture to the rich fabric of our society.
Depuis plus de 30 ans, l'objectif de l'Association multiculturelle du Grand Moncton est d'accueillir les nouveaux arrivants du monde entier pour les aider à s'intégrer dans la grande famille canadienne. Dans tous les secteurs d'activité, ces nouveaux Canadiens contribuent à la culture, la société et l'économie. Ici, ils peuvent réaliser leurs ambitions et leurs rêves en toute sécurité et nous invitent à partager leurs expériences.
Comme bénévoles, nous les aidons à:
- s'installer dans leur nouvelle demeure et/ou nouvelle école;
- trouver un emploi, apprendre un nouveau métier, ou pratiquer le leur;
- apprendre le français ou l'anglais; et
- s'engager dans la collectivité en tant que bénévoles.
Nous encourageons également les habitants de Moncton à devenir bénévoles. De plus, nous organisons des activités pour promouvoir le multiculturalisme. Enfin, nous travaillons avec la collectivité pour créer un environnement accueillant pour les nouveaux arrivants.
Dès l'arrivée de ces derniers au grand Moncton, l'AMGM se place à leur disposition pour les aviser, leur offrir un service d'adaptation et mettre à profit leurs propres habiletés, expériences et connaissances. C'est en les aidant que l'on s'enrichit davantage tous ensemble.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
- Demonstrated commitment to continuing professional development
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work cooperatively with volunteers, staff, and community partners
- Proficiency in MS Office, specifically PowerPoint, Excel, Word
- Attention to detail, strong work ethic
- Demonstrated level of cultural sensitivity and understanding
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Please apply to email@example.com, referencing the job title