We're on a mission to transform the insurance space as you know it. As a key member of our first new venture in the InsurTech space, you will help establish a next-generation reinsurance solution in the Property & Casualty (P&C) market.
Our venture is fully backed by Highline BETA, a co-creation incubator and venture capital firm based in Toronto, Canada, with extensive experience structuring new ventures with companies such as Royal Bank of Canada and Anheuser-Busch InBev.
Highline BETA helps forward-thinking enterprises innovate faster and co-create new ventures in the areas of FinTech, InsurTech, Digital Health and CPG. We're located in the heart of downtown, with permanent offices at the latest WeWork. You will initially join as part of Highline BETA (full-time contract) and transition with a full-time role into our new InsurTech venture once it's fully funded.
We employ agile best practices, use modern software development paradigms, and focus on continuous improvement in the delivery of an outstanding online solution. This is an opportunity to experience the startup creation process from inception alongside experienced entrepreneurs, and be part of a fun culture focused on writing a success story.
What you'll do
You will be developing a transformative solution in the P&C reinsurance, reinsurance brokerage, and insurance spaces, with a huge emphasis on creating an incredible user experience.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer (Front-End - React) with a passion for contributing to a solution that will revolutionize the way things are done in a huge, established market.
Your core responsibilities will be to:
- Create an extraordinary experience by developing a world-class product addressing key pain points in a large market ripe for disruption;
- Work with Highline BETA's cross-disciplinary InsurTech team, consisting of the Entrepreneur-in-Residence, Senior Product Designer, Tech Team, and Partnerships Lead;
- Architect and develop a React-based application, delivering a streamlined, elegant front-end experience;
- Develop a responsive interface for various browsers and devices;
- Ability to communicate architectural and design choices thoroughly;
- Design within technical constraints while being aware and mindful of business objectives, helping prioritize requirements;
- Work with team to set goals and milestones and respond to evolving changes rapidly;
- Contribute to the development of innovative/value-add features e.g. blockchain-based functionality, open API documentation, or other (imagination is the limit)
- Tutor and coach junior engineers within the development team as it grows.
This is a highly entrepreneurial opportunity and you will be part of the first wave of collaborators, with the ability to shape both the venture and your role as you go forward and build credibility and trust with our team and partners.
What you'll need
You're perfect for this role if you:
- Are looking to build something from the ground up with the potential to disrupt a space with cool technologies, with the full backing of an established incubator and proven entrepreneurs;
- Have a strong interest in leveraging the latest tech (e.g. blockchain) and frameworks, and generally turning innovation into real-world products;
- Follow a method to drive the product forward, and have the discipline to implement it day-in day-out;
- Are result-driven with a strong ownership mentality and drive to deliver on schedule; problem-solve independently in a dynamic, fast-paced environment;
- Have experience working at startups or on highly innovative projects at larger corporations; and/or have previous exposure to the reinsurance/insurance markets.
- Team player who openly shares information, helps others, and is open to new ideas and "going the extra mile" when needed.
Your track record should include:
- Exceptional programming skills and grasp of software engineering principles with 5 or more years developing front end applications;
- Demonstrated success managing development projects end-to-end with significant ownership over technical decision-making;
- Any development experience in the following fields would constitute a plus: process automation, open APIs, marketplaces, enterprise software, blockchain applications, mobile applications;
- A drive to get better every day, demonstrated by evident career progression and explorations;
- Extensive experience with agile and lean philosophies - you delivered user facing online applications in an agile design environment;
- Experience working with a small team towards aggressive product development milestones, with strong appreciation of business needs;
- Preferably a Bachelor's or advanced degree in Computer Science or related field.
We're looking for
A little bit about us
We believe that diverse teams build better companies and better products. We encourage applications from qualified candidates from all backgrounds, including candidates of colour, women, queer candidates, candidates with family caregiving responsibilities, immigrant candidates, transgender candidates, and candidates with disabilities.