Highline Beta builds and funds ventures in collaboration with global corporate enterprises across a variety of industries. In some cases we incubate new startups from the outside and in others we support internal corporate innovation projects. For example, we've helped RBC Ventures launch 10+ new ventures in market across multiple verticals. This has involved doing early validation work into opportunities, mockups and early prototyping, roadmap support and strategic coaching.
As a Senior Software Developer, you'll work alongside our research, design, and product experts in the discovery, validation, and building of new ventures. This is a unique role for a generalist who enjoys the end-to-end building of products and believes in a hypothesis-driven approach -- supporting early research, user interviews, and ideation, as well as taking the lead on rapid prototyping and building of MVPs. Strong communication skills are critical in order to effectively engage and interact with our corporate partners and startup founders.
What you'll do
- Lead rapid prototyping efforts to validate new venture opportunities, focusing on the assumptions being tested
- Build MVPs for validated opportunities, balancing scope and effort against required scale
- Support researchers and designers on early concept discovery and ideation; you've experienced the frustration of building products that don't solve a meaningful problem and want to contribute, in ways beyond code, to ensure that doesn't happen
- Support portfolio companies in building products from time to time
- Research and propose new technical tools and practices for the organization
What you'll need
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals (Clean architecture, performance improvements, application design, pragmatic programmer)
- Experience developing, creating and modifying applications utilizing agile processes, including test-driven development (TDD), refactoring, and state-of-the-art continuous integration, build and deployment infrastructure
- Experience contributing to product specifications (stories, task documentation, implementation, rollout), product goals and milestones (sprint planning, roadmaps, estimations)
- A history of developing successful, large-scale, public technology software
- Strong knowledge of one or more Object Oriented Programing or Functional Programming languages
- A pragmatic approach to product development; you care more about driving customer and business value vs writing perfect code
- Working knowledge of Lean, User Centered Design and Agile methodologies
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to contribute end to end (front-end, back-end, infrastructure, devops)
- Corporate consulting experience
- Startup experience (early and growth stages)
We're looking for
A little bit about us
At Highline Beta, we celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives to apply. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don't hesitate to reach out!
Are you interested?
Work With Us
At Highline Beta we build businesses. In some cases we support clients doing so organically, in other cases we create new startups solving real problems that matter and help great founders launch and scale. You'll have an opportunity to work with a deeply passionate and skilled team that cares about making the world a better place. You'll get to learn from a diverse team of investors, entrepreneurs, designers, product managers and more. You'll be challenged daily to push yourself, gain new skills, practice and teach the ones you're already an expert in, and help everyone -- yourself, your team, our clients and our collaborators -- win.