We're on a mission to transform the insurance space as you know it. As a key member of our first new venture in the InsurTech space, you will help establish a next-generation reinsurance solution in the Property & Casualty (P&C) market.
Our venture is fully backed by Highline BETA, a startup co-creation and venture capital firm based in Toronto, Canada, with extensive experience structuring new ventures with companies such as Royal Bank of Canada and Anheuser-Busch InBev.
Highline BETA helps forward-thinking enterprises innovate faster and co-create new ventures in the areas of FinTech, InsurTech, Digital Health and CPG. You will initially join as part of Highline BETA (full-time contract) and transition with a full-time role into our new InsurTech venture once it is fully funded.
What you'll do
You will be crafting a transformative solution in the P&C reinsurance, reinsurance brokerage, and insurance spaces, with a huge emphasis on creating an incredible user experience.
The Senior Product Designer at our venture ensures we solve the right problems and understand user needs to deliver new or improved functionalities and services that have real impact. We employ a lean and iterative mentality. You will be expected to bring the team into the design process as a way to prioritize features early, and often; and to deliver value to users as early as possible.
You are a "full stack" designer in the sense that you are willing to help out on any of the dimensions of design. You will own user research / interviews to dig up pain points, wireframing, production of prototypes / mocks, user testing, and design implementation working with developers. Our team believes in sharing responsibility for delivering user value. As a result, you can expect to be part of or even lead some activities that traditionally live outside of design, like roadmapping and prioritizing features.
Your core responsibilities will be to:
- Create an extraordinary experience by designing all service touchpoints, managing product features from ideation to launch;
- Work with Highline BETA's cross-disciplinary InsurTech team, consisting of the Entrepreneur-in-Residence, Tech Team, and Partnerships Lead;
- Gather requirements through user research and testing, building empathy with users to deeply understand their needs;
- Cut through the noise of fuzzy, complicated B2B interactions to create a more efficient end-to-end user journey using elegant and intuitive design;
- Build and foster relationships with internal and external stakeholders to set goals, communicate expectations, identify new opportunities and effectively represent our brand;
- Present work, concepts and new ideas early and often;
- Assume some product management responsibilities: determine key deliverables, introduction schedules and set up related processes;
- Design within technical constraints while being mindful of business objectives, helping prioritize and maintaining the associated product roadmap;
- Monitoring of product performance, staying abreast of market trends, user feedback, customer needs, competitive information and market research to determine the right feature set;
- Also act as a contributor to the market positioning and branding strategy and tactics.
This is a highly entrepreneurial opportunity and you will be part of the first wave of collaborators, with the ability to shape both the venture and your role as you go forward and build credibility and trust with our team and partners.
What you'll need
You're perfect for this role if you:
- Are looking for the next step in your career and are willing to join a higher-risk higher-return entrepreneurial endeavour to get to the next level (with the full backing of an established incubator and proven entrepreneurs);
- Master agile software development methods. You follow a method to drive the product forward, and have the discipline to implement it day-in day-out;
- You like to lead product design from research through implementation - you want to help the team succeed more than making a nice Sketch file, and you do not see strict boundaries around your role;
- Have a strong interest in marketplaces, process improvements, and/or blockchain applications - and generally turning innovation into real-world products;
- You are interested in expanding your repertoire into Product Management, and have some familiarity with it;
- Are an energetic, highly motivated individual who enjoys re-shaping the way things are done;
- You are an excellent listener and advisor, able to quickly surface pain points we can address;
- Have experience teaching others in user centered design best practices; ideally, you are an active member of the design community;
- Have experience working at startups or on highly innovative projects at larger corporations; and/or have previous exposure to the reinsurance/insurance markets.
Your track record includes:
- Knowledge of modern front-end frameworks, principles and tools;
- A drive to get better every day, demonstrated by evident career progression and explorations;
- Extensive experience with agile and lean philosophies - you delivered user facing online applications in an agile design environment;
- Practical expertise in at least two facets of the 3 facets of design: user research, interaction design or visual design
- Experience working with a small team towards aggressive product development milestones, with strong appreciation of business needs;
- Customer focus and ability to develop client partnerships;
- Interest in B2B process design and transformation;
- Strong project management, problem-solving, and analytical skills - and previous exposure to product management;
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills;
- Creativity and initiative - you enjoy learning and being challenged every day.
We're looking for
A little bit about us
We believe that diverse teams build better companies and better products. We encourage applications from qualified candidates from all backgrounds, including candidates of colour, women, queer candidates, candidates with family caregiving responsibilities, immigrant candidates, transgender candidates, and candidates with disabilities.