Posted September 7th 2017
This position is accessible to someone early in their career.
What does your day look like?
In the early days of this job you'll be focused on learning, so you won't have any urgent deliverables. It takes a while to learn all the nooks and crannies of our products, so don't be surprised if you're still seeing new things after a few months. Our customers' needs are probably unlike anything that you've seen before, unless you've actually worked in the US apartment industry. It takes a while to grasp how things are done so differently from Canada and from other industries.
We're migrating our data and our products to a new database and API, so a lot of your technical work will be assisting in this project. Sometimes you'll write some code in PHP or Python, and sometimes you'll just be sanitizing and moving large sets of data.
As soon as the sales team has crafted a new drip campaign for email marketing, you will help them to automate it and measure success in some third-party software. When our new API has sufficiently progressed, then you'll start integrating it with third-party service providers, like CRM, invoicing, and help ticketing systems.
What success looks like
After the first month, you will have shadowed several people within the company to learn our product, understand our customers, and grasp the things that we want to change.
Within 2-3 months you'll be tweaking our existing API and configuring our products for new customers. You will have learned how to perform the "Mapping" tasks that we do with XPath/RegEx and you'll be experimenting with it to help prepare our software for the sales team to demonstrate.
After 4-6 months you'll be helping the sales team with marketing automation and you'll have experience querying our database to investigate reporting problems. You will also be gathering technical requirements for how you will help migrate PriceUpdater and EmailHandler to our new API.
In the first year, you will have at least some exposure to everything listed in the job description and your server-side code will be in production in the new Python-based API.
- Manage new and existing third-party API/data integrations with our customers to support our premium features known as PriceUpdater and EmailHandler. After you are familiar with the requirements of the processes in our PHP-based system, you will migrate the system to our Python-based API.
- Assist with the migration of our data from our legacy PHP-based API to our new Python-based API.
- Learn the process of "mapping" our customers' websites using XPath statements and regular expressions.
- Performing mapping tasks to assist the sales team with selling activities.
- Fill in for the Mapping Engineer when they take vacations.
- Occasionally participate in sales conference call to assist with technical questions or requirements gathering during the selling and/or onboarding process.
- Use SQL queries and our internal reporting tools to investigate possible reporting/data errors when reported by customers.
- Write web-crawling scripts and data-parsing scripts to help the sales team find, sanitize, and organize new customer prospects.
- Assist with the technical aspects of configuring our software for new clients.
- Integrate our CRM, our invoicing software, and our contract signing software with our internal API and web-application.
- Assist colleagues with technical questions about internal software.
- Create and manage an email-relay system to monitor the open rate of our invoices.
- Assist with the technical aspects of sales and marketing, such as manipulating large data sets, executing queries, or configuring the logic of automated marketing systems.
- Measure product usage and customer happiness.
- If time, skill sets, and priorities permit, assist with new customer-facing feature development such as gamification, a client-side WYSIWYG template-builder, in-app guided training walk-through, and other sales- and customer-oriented software development.
Who are you?
- You have some programming experience
- You have some experience writing pseudo code to plan your work
- You have some experience with SQL and you understand relational databases
- You are self-driven and pro-active
- You enjoy working in small teams and supporting non-technical people to meet their technical objectives
- You would rather spend most of your time working on technical tasks but you also enjoy some customer interactions
- You enjoy a wide variety of technical tasks; From very precise API calls and third-party integrations to improving user experience and automating tasks with third-party tools
- You have great attention to detail and you prefer quality over quantity
- Experience with Git and experience interacting with a RESTful API would be beneficial
- Some exposure to regular expressions and a willingness to learn XPath would be an asset
Rooof sells software to property management companies in the USA on monthly recurring subscriptions. On-site users at each property use our software to automatically put classified advertisements on the internet using our browser extension (and pending Electron implementation) that mimics human-like browser-interactions. Instead of making classified ads manually, our software does all the work. Our software is used in over 2,000 apartment buildings by over 5,000 users.
Rooof was founded in 2012 to improve how the rental-housing industry advertises their vacancies. People love our software because it writes great performing ads and because we have automated a task that they despise. We are preparing to build new software for our existing customers to meet other needs, unrelated to classified ad automation.
We are a team of nine with our head offices in Victoria, BC. Six of us are located in Victoria, BC, with sales in Phoenix and two off-site software engineers.