We're on a mission to transform industries globally, through new venture creation and building a new, scalable model for startup investing and corporate innovation that works. Highline BETA helps forward-thinking enterprises innovate faster and co-create new ventures in the areas of FinTech, InsurTech, Digital Health and CPG.
To do that, we need entrepreneurially-minded individuals interested in the intersection of corporate innovation and the startup ecosystem. As a New Venture Director - User Research, you thrive on working on a diverse set of projects with corporate clients, focused on user research, problem discovery and new venture development.
What you'll do
- Conducting user research and early discovery / problem validation on new opportunities; including interviewing, immersion, observation, early prototyping and more
- Largely focused on early, qualitative user research into new problem areas (versus product/feature-level user research)
- Help create & support new ventures with our clients through the application of Lean Startup and Design Thinking methodologies (e.g. research, problem validation, experimentation, prototyping, etc.)
- Facilitation and training of clients on key concepts around Lean Startup, Design Thinking and user research
- Get your hands dirty with potentially more than one venture/project at a time
- Guide clients through doing (versus telling) to empower them towards new venture creation
What you'll need
You're perfect for this role if you:
- Have had a role in user research or heavily involving user research of some kind (e.g. product management, product design, user experience)
- Have experience conducting facilitation and training sessions and enjoy coaching people
- Have a strong interest in both Highline BETA's mission and corporate innovation
- Are doer above all else -- read: get shit done.
- Believe in the efficacy and value of Lean Startup / Design Thinking (e.g. getting out of the building, interviewing, researching, prototyping, learning, etc.)
- Enjoy a diversity of projects and work (lots of context shifting)
- Comfortable being uncomfortable
- Have a strong, team-oriented work ethic with willingness to work independently and autonomously (comfortable with travel as well)
- 3+ years experience in user research, using a variety of techniques (i.e. interviewing, field studies, surveying, etc.) both in qualitative and quantitative areas
- Experience in digital / technology industries
- Experience in startups is a bonus
- Proven experience in applying problem solving skills (quantitative, conceptual, analytical)
- Comfortable with interacting with senior level executives and investors
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
We're looking for
A little bit about us
We believe that diverse teams build better companies and better products. We encourage applications from qualified candidates from all backgrounds, including candidates of colour, women, queer candidates, candidates with family caregiving responsibilities, immigrant candidates, transgender candidates, and candidates with disabilities.