- Are you interested in visual arts and graphic design?
- Do you like communicating ideas through images and graphics?
- Do you follow the current trends and techniques?
If this sounds like you, then we need you to join our team as a volunteer Graphic Designer.
What you'll do
As a graphic designer, you will be the mastermind in the creation of our visual content. Your creative hands will transform our work and social impact into visual messaging and material that inspires, informs, or captivates our audience.
Your work will impact how we portray ourselves and how others see us.
What you'll do?
- Review and enhance FGT's visual identity to increase our visual impact
- Collaborate with the Impact Research Team to determine and create infographics and other shareable contents to promote our social impact
- Review and improve graphics and layouts for our logos and websites
- Be creative! Collaborate with the Marketing and Visual Identity teams to visualize our branding and marketing concepts for our social media, campaigns, newsletters, and target markets
- Review our visual contents to determine and implement best illustrative layout and design
- Take ownership of writing projects to bring concepts and ideas to life; assist in the development and maintenance of brand voice and integrity in all communications
- Have the opportunity to share your knowledge and expertise with our volunteers and the community, gaining team building experience in the process
- You are not alone! You will work together as a team with people who have skillsets that compliment yours, so you will always be supported
What will your contribution lead to?
- Your work will help FGT to design better messages with high visual impact, which allow FGT to reach out to more people in need and makes tremendous social impact.
- FGT is in a significant growth phase and your input will directly enhance our visual identity as we grow. In addition, your will contribute to the development of our "visual messages", which allow us to reach out to more people to increase sustain our growth. With your efforts, we will be able to give the technology back to more people that are in need and provide more opportunities for the marginalized communities and people in GTA to afford and access technology.
- Volunteers keep Free Geek operating and we need an energized team with caring and passionate leaders, like you! You'll be creating and coordinating the teams that act as the lifeblood of the organization. You'll work as part of our marketing team so you'll always feel supported.
How much work?
Minimum commitment of 6 months - must be able to commit to 6 months
Total of 10 - 14 hours per month
- 2 hour meetings every other weekend (on-site)
- 6 - 10 hours outside of meetings per month (Schedule flexibility and freedom to volunteer from home)
A little bit about us
Free Geek Toronto (FGT) is a non-profit social enterprise in the heart of West Queen West helping to bridge the digital divide. We accept donations of electronic waste, refurbish computers, and re-sell them at accessible prices.
Our vision is to make our city a place where e-waste is disposed of responsibly, safely and ethically, and where everyone has access to computers and the Internet.
Our mission is to promote social and economic justice by:
- Reducing the environmental impact of electronic waste through reuse and recycling
- Increasing access to computing and communications technologies
- Promoting the use of Free and Open Source Software
- Providing education, training, and job skills.
Our current funding streams are a mix of revenue from the sale of refurbished electronics (mostly laptops) and ethical recycling, and several single and multi-year grants. There remains untapped potential to grow our revenue significantly in the future.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
WHY JOIN OUR TEAM?
To make an impact, locally and globally
- Conserve the environment and empower people in your community
- Refurbish e-waste - Give technology a second life in the hands of those who need it
Enhance your career path
- You can build or expand your graphic design portfolio
- By taking on different challenges, such as visual identity, infographics, visualization of marketing ideas, you will have exponential growth of your experience in graphic design, a stepping stone for your future success
- You will get to know and work together with volunteers with different background. Achieving goals together will enhance your communication skills
- FGT is in a significant growth phase and can offer volunteers progressively more responsible roles with emphasis on roles related to volunteer personal or professional development goals
- Potential to lead and develop new initiatives at FGT including developing and leading training sessions for peers. You will be coached on how to lead and develop training sessions.
- Continuous learning and professional development, cross-training opportunities, and skill development opportunities within and outside of your field
Expand your horizon and networks
- Make connections to passionate volunteers with different background at FGT
- Gain different skills and perspectives from the people that you are volunteering with
Recognition and incentives
At FGT, your contribution will be recognized! Depending on your contribution, we can provide reference letters, website recognition, free event tickets, and many more!