Our mission is to embed spatial thinking within our clients' enterprise systems. We work closely with our clients, often teamed with their people, to guide them in building spatially-enabled apps and workflows. We take a user-centered approach to all of our work, considering the people who use our solutions, as well as those who maintain them. Because, really, the most elegant solutions to complex problems appear simple and intuitive - and we strive to ensure that systems are easy to use, to maintain, and to manage.
The GIS Developer (Front-End) is a key role, working with customers to create simplified and automated workflows, building or embedding maps into enterprise systems such as Salesforce.com, and working with our solution architects and UX people to create a great overall user experience. The GIS Developer (Front-End) is an expert in web interface development, Esri and open-source GIS web mapping tools, and is able to quickly prototype and create cool apps.
What you'll do
- Design, develop and support web-based geospatial applications
- Incorporating interactive maps and other geospatial visualization/analysis technologies into web interfaces of existing systems, as well as creating new web-based data visualization and geospatial interfaces
- Ensuring high performance on mobile and desktop
- Coordinate the workflow between the graphic designers
- Support concurrent initiatives specific to infrastructure and software development
- Support the installation of software components in testing and production environments
- Support end-to-end project plans and ensuring timely delivery, issues escalation/reporting
- Integration with external web (map) services
- Integrate a diverse set of data into custom geospatial applications
- Stay current on technology trends and identify ways to innovate our products
What you'll need
Your personality matches our core values:
- Passionate. Everything we do at Spatial DNA revolves around processing data and how data can make our clients' businesses better. But that's also true of how we build our own products and services and how we create our own operations and interactions. We capitalize on the power of data to drive better business decisions and to innovate at all levels. We tackle tough challenges. We learn on-the-job to get it done, and done right. Spatial DNA employees are the brightest most creative experts and we do the hard things that others can't figure out.
- Accountable. Pride and ownership in our work are critical to our success. Personal accountability is a huge component of the way we work. And we never make excuses. We support a virtual team concept - where you work when and where you want. Accountability is critical in this context and we trust our colleagues to speak up early so that small issues don't become big unstoppable snowballs
- Collaborative. A strong team can accomplish anything. We encourage everyone to respectfully share ideas and opinions because we're confident that constructive conflict and ideation is needed to land on the best approach. We lean on our team when we don't know or aren't sure. We often work independently, but we are eager to share our learnings and discoveries with our colleagues and clients. We willingly take people under our wing so that they learn and grow. And, work is but one aspect of our lives - we encourage and celebrate a life outside of work.
This position requires the following certifications or combinations:
- BSc in Computer Science, Geomatics Engineering, or Software Engineering, ideally with a certificate from a college or technical institute in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or equivalent.
- 10 years of technical experience will be viewed as equivalent to the above degrees/certifications, with specific experience in spatial data analysis, spatial data management, development of GIS-based software, or development of GIS data production processes.
- An advanced degree (Masters / Ph.D.) or multiple discipline degrees are highly desirable, particularly in math, science, and engineering.
Required skills and abilities:
- Experience with software and web development principles, concepts, and methods;
- Experience with Angular 5 and Dojo is a requirement.
- Creating custom, general use modules, and components which extend the elements and modules of core Angular
- Experience with object-relational databases (Postgre SQL or MySQL);
- Geospatial data experience (SHP, KML, GeoJSON) as well as OGC standards (WMS, WFS)
- Creating configuration, build, and test scripts for Continuous Integration environments
- Proficiency with web GIS tools, particularly those used for map tiling and creating mashups/online interactive maps (Google Maps API, MapBox, OpenLayers);
- Interest and experience in design and have artistic flair in data visualization
- Must be organized and work well in a team setting. Be open to feedback from others and give honest non-judgmental feedback to others
- Validating user actions on the client side and providing responsive feedback
- Professional, precise communication skills
We're looking for
A little bit about us
Spatial DNA Informatics Inc.
Spatial DNA was founded in 2011 specialising in systems engineering and integration of spatial data and technologies into corporate information systems. We bring expertise in the design and architecture of enterprise services, integrating GIS-based platform products to solve specific business needs. We are active in mission-critical systems in aviation, retail operations, and government. Spatial DNA provides the following set of services:
- Enterprise Integration - we enable location-aware messaging between enterprise platforms either on-premise or in the cloud. Location aware messaging integrates place and geography into the message stream, enabling us to integrate sensors, GIS, and geographic queries.
- Location Analytics - we build sensor networks and perform location determination to identify the movement of people and assets within the built space. Analytics and event triggers enable us to support traffic counting and analysis, movement detection and notification, and provide decision support to retail, events, and local government.
- GIS DevOps - we are bringing the DevOps build and deploy concepts, as well as lean thinking for managing the work of GIS professionals. Lean processes enable us to organize project, internal, case and unplanned work and increase the velocity of work completed, while DevOps build and deploy practices enable our clients to automate their testing and deployment of GIS tools and data.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Spatial DNA provides extended health and dental benefits, life insurance, short- and long-term disability coverage and other benefits.
Spatial DNA works in a virtual team environment, with consultants and staff located across the country. Some activities require focused team-work and may require short-term co-location of the team - particularly during design activities. Working from home or other remote locations is expected and encouraged.
We would like to thank you personally for applying to Spatial DNA.
Please note that we will review your application and only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted directly. However, we will retain your application on file and would be pleased to contact you if further opportunities arise.
Spatial DNA is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls. All resumes sent by search firms to any employee at Spatial DNA via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Spatial DNA; no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Spatial DNA as a result of the referral or through other means.
Spatial DNA. is an equal opportunity employer, and we do not and will not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, physical or mental disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status.
If you love tackling challenging problems in a domain that is constantly changing and accelerating - AND you want the freedom of being virtual - you'll want to work with us.