Posted September 7th 2017
What does your day look like?
If you’re self-driven with a QA background, this role will be right up your alley. We’re looking for someone who wants to take ownership of their role and basically build out their own plan. As such, the way you go about getting QA in place and how you structure your day will be up to you.
Most likely, the first month or two will be getting up to speed with our different systems and where things are at. You’ll be talking a lot to our other engineers to understand how things work and asking a lot of questions.
While doing that you’ll probably be developing a plan of what you’d like to tackle first and then figuring out how to implement your plan.
We use Sumo Logic for logging, monitoring and alerts. You’ll write some searches in Sumo that will alert us if something is breaking in production.
What success looks like
After you’ve been here for 6 months, there will probably have been some releases that were stopped because it broke something and we only noticed because of the processes and automated testing you had put in place. You’ll have saved hours of customer support time.
Our release processes will be streamlined. You’ll have implemented continuous integration so that our code is constantly being pushed through the testing pipeline and being released. Our engineering team will no longer have to worry about and spend time on releasing manually.
You’ll have contributed a large number of tests to all our different codebases.
Within our logging and alert platforms, you’ll have contributed to setting up dashboards and monitoring so that we’ll know earlier on if something is broken.
- Manage and enhance our integration, monitoring, and alerts within SumoLogic and PaperTrail.
- Assist the Software Engineer (API) with the management of AWS.
- Lead the implementation, monitoring, and regular usage of Continuous Integration for our Web-App, REST API, Chrome Extension, and Electron Platform.
Suggest, implement, maintain, and operate a fully-automated suite of software tests for:
- REST API (black box test automation)
- Chrome Extension (e.g. Selenium)
- Electron Platform (e.g. Spectron)
- Web Application (e.g. Selenium)
Suggest, implement, maintain, and operate a fully-automated system for testing our XPath statements and Regular Expressions against various websites.
- Does the given XPath statement return the expected results when applied to the given URLs?
- Does the given Regular Expression return the expected results when applied to the given inputs?
Who are you?
- You have 3+ years of programming experience
- You have experience planning software development roadmaps
- You may have experience implementing test automation and/or continuous integration
- Any prior experience in DevOps, QA, or automation would be beneficial
- You are self-driven and proactive. You’ll be expected to take ownership of all automated testing and deployment processes.
- You have great attention to detail and you are committed to helping us prevent errors and omissions in our code
- You look to solve the root problem instead of band-aid solutions
- You communicate well. You’ll be our internal champion for quality & reliability and will need to work well with our other engineers to make sure they understand the importance of testing and writing their code in a modular and testable manner.
Rooof sells software to property management companies in the USA on monthly recurring subscriptions. On-site users at each property use our software to automatically put classified advertisements on the internet using our browser extension (and pending Electron implementation) that mimics human-like browser-interactions. Instead of making classified ads manually, our software does all the work. Our software is used in over 2,000 apartment buildings by over 5,000 users.
Rooof was founded in 2012 to improve how the rental-housing industry advertises their vacancies. People love our software because it writes great performing ads and because we have automated a task that they despise. We are preparing to build new software for our existing customers to meet other needs, unrelated to classified ad automation.
We are a team of nine with our head offices in Victoria, BC. Six of us are located in Victoria, BC, with sales in Phoenix and two off-site software engineers.