Marcus Daniels, Lauren Robinson and I (Ben Yoskovitz) founded Highline Beta with the mission of building better ventures. Our thesis is that by unlocking assets within large organizations, we can create unique opportunities for new startup creation.
As founders ourselves, we know how hard it is to build startups. And while there are many different ways founders can get help these days, we believe that partnering closely in the earliest stages brings the most value. So we've used the lessons we've learned previously in building Year One Labs, Extreme Startups and Highline VC to inform our approach today through our Venture Studio. Our goal is simple: take the earliest stage ideas/startups, with great founders, and build awesome companies.
As a Founder in Residence (CTO) - Real Estate Technology, you'll work closely with our Venture Studio team and the Highline Beta partners to form and launch a new venture-backed startup within 6-9 months. Our team has been doing validation on a specific opportunity, which will help homeowners unlock equity value in their homes with no additional monthly fees. There's still a lot to figure out, but we've completed our initial problem and solution validation, with a good sense of the minimum viable product, and early customer traction.
Our team is led by seasoned builders with expertise in product & design (Daniel Kaplan), technology (Gary Fung), and growth/marketing (Nathan Prescott.) Your job will be to take the work we've done and working closely with the team, continue the process of building a new startup. Ultimately, our goal is to incorporate a company, fund it, and provide you with the assets & team to succeed.
Please note: This is not an employee opportunity at Highline Beta. Our Venture Studio will help you incorporate a new company, where you'll be a Founder, and get you to launch / traction / fundraising in 6-9 months. We will also look to pair you with a co-founder (CEO). You and your co-founder(s) will receive the majority of the equity in the new company, but your salary will be nominal (you're creating a new startup after all!)
Through our studio, you get a dedicated team and investor backing you from day one, as well as access to our Fortune 1000 corporate partners. We believe this significantly de-risks many of the factors that typically prevent so many startups from succeeding. That's how we were able to launch companies like Relay, Parachute, Moselle, and Volley through our studio.
What you'll do
We're looking to partner with an ambitious and visionary founder who is actively looking to find and build their next startup within the real estate tech space. Together we will:
- Identify, validate, and build collective conviction for a compelling mission + vision for a venture backable startup
- Build the venture, which includes launching the product, getting traction with customers, hiring the team, and generating a path to / growing revenue through partnerships / marketing
- Raise money from institutional investors and effectively manage financial runway
What you'll need
Previous experience leading an early stage, venture-backed startup (or equivalent intrapreneurial experience)
- Technical experience building and launching products in-market
- Hands-on coding experience; you can write, test and deploy, with an iterative, scrappy approach
- Desire to be a venture-backed co-founder (CTO, etc.) and build a startup HQ'd in Canada (but with global ambitions)
- Generalist with strong skills in a key startup discipline (tech, product, team building, etc.)
- Relevant domain experience and passion to help transform the real estate industry
- Experience pitching investors and raising capital
- Experience mentoring and/or growing teams
A little bit about us
At Highline Beta, we celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives to apply. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don't hesitate to reach out!
Are you interested?
Work With Us
This is a partnership opportunity to work with us in building a new startup. Should we mutually agree to incorporate a business together, Highline Beta will supply the startup with initial operational capital of which you will have a sizable ownership equity stake and be able to take a paycheck.