Spatial DNA focuses on the integration of spatial data and technologies with enterprise information management technologies and sensor networks. At Spatial DNA, we love data - and we creatively integrate spatial data from multiple sources into cloud-based enterprise platforms and analytics dashboards. Our Integration practice leverages Safe Software's FME Server technology into a fully-functioning enterprise messaging platform that enriches system-to-system interactions with the power of location. Our Insights practice leverages location-based data generated from sensor networks to inform users on the movements of people and things (assets) within built space - malls, airports, conferences and outdoor events, manufacturing plants, and office towers.
As an FME Developer, you will build out FME templates for integration workflows, and custom connectors to non-traditional enterprise platforms such as work and asset management, warehouse and yard management, ERP and CRM, as well as GIS systems from Esri. You will also support core analytics processing development leveraging FME to automate the processing and aggregation of movement and geo-fenced alert data from our sensor network solutions for people and asset tracking (PeopleFlow).
What you'll do
- Document data mappings between systems (spatial and non-spatial)
- Create data exchange formats in XML to standardize data exchange between multiple systems
- Build custom connectors to unsupported system formats in FME Desktop or Java for deployment to FME Server or FME Cloud
- Leverage spatial data processing capabilities in FME to ingest sensor network information and perform data aggregation work processes with FME transformers, in Python, or in R
- Architect message-based workflows in FME Server leveraging the Publish-Subscribe and or JMS messaging patterns.
- Recommend FME Server deployment options for DEV, TEST, and PRODUCTION instances in a client's environment.
- Install and configure FME Server at client sites for DEV, TEST, and PRODUCTION instances.
What you'll need
Your personality matches our core values:
Passionate. Everything we do at Spatial DNA revolves around processing data and how data can make our clients' businesses better. But that's also true of how we build our own products and services and how we create our own operations and interactions. We capitalize on the power of data to drive better business decisions and to innovate at all levels. We tackle tough challenges. We learn on-the-job to get it done, and done right. Spatial DNA employees are the brightest most creative experts and we do the hard things that others can't figure out.
Accountable. Pride and ownership in our work are critical to our success. Personal accountability is a huge component of the way we work. And we never make excuses. We support a virtual team concept - where you work when and where you want. Accountability is critical in this context and we trust our colleagues to speak up early so that small issues don't become big unstoppable snowballs
Collaborative. A strong team can accomplish anything. We encourage everyone to respectfully share ideas and opinions because we're confident that constructive conflict and ideation is needed to land on the best approach. We lean on our team when we don't know or aren't sure. We often work independently, but we are eager to share our learnings and discoveries with our colleagues and clients. We willingly take people under our wing so that they learn and grow. And, work is but one aspect of our lives - we encourage and celebrate a life outside of work.
This position requires the following certifications or combinations:
- BSc in Computer Science, Geomatics Engineering, or Software Engineering, ideally with a certificate from a college or technical institute in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or equivalent.
- 10 years of technical experience will be viewed as equivalent to the above degrees/certifications, with specific experience in spatial data analysis, spatial data management, development of GIS-based software, or development of GIS data production processes.
- An advanced degree (Masters / Ph.D.) or multiple discipline degrees are highly desirable, particularly in math, science, and engineering.
Preference will also be given to those who have worked with data discovery tools from Qlik, Tableau, or Cognos, as well as the development of map services/apps on Esri's ArcGIS Server.
We're looking for
A little bit about us
Spatial DNA Informatics Inc.
Spatial DNA was founded in 2011 specialising in systems engineering and integration of spatial data and technologies into corporate information systems. We bring expertise in the design and architecture of enterprise services, integrating GIS-based platform products to solve specific business needs. We are active in mission-critical systems in aviation, retail operations, and government. Spatial DNA provides the following set of services:
- Enterprise Integration - we enable location-aware messaging between enterprise platforms either on-premise or in the cloud. Location aware messaging integrates place and geography into the message stream, enabling us to integrate sensors, GIS, and geographic queries.
- Location Analytics - we build sensor networks and perform location determination to identify the movement of people and assets within the built space. Analytics and event triggers enable us to support traffic counting and analysis, movement detection and notification, and provide decision support to retail, events, and local government.
- GIS DevOps - we are bringing the DevOps build and deploy concepts, as well as lean thinking for managing the work of GIS professionals. Lean processes enable us to organize project, internal, case and unplanned work and increase the velocity of work completed, while DevOps build and deploy practices enable our clients to automate their testing and deployment of GIS tools and data.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Our recruitment process entails the following four activities:
- First Interview. Check for team fit based on your skills, qualifications, and fit to core values
- Interview Assigment. Complete a test problem that we have set up in FME to demonstrate your understanding of data, and show your learning process and approach to a problem.
- Technical Interview. Meet with our lead engineer to delve deeply into your technical qualifications, experience, and aptitude.
- Face-to-Face Interview. A final meeting (if you make it this far) to get a sense of your personality and presence and discuss key details about a job offer.
Spatial DNA provides extended health and dental benefits, life insurance, short- and long-term disability coverage and other benefits.
Spatial DNA works in a virtual-team environment, with consultants and staff located across the country. Some activities require focused team-work and may require short-term co-location of the team - particularly during design activities. Working from home or other remote locations is expected and encouraged.
We would like to thank you personally for applying to Spatial DNA.
Please note that we will review your application and only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted directly. However, we will retain your application on file and would be pleased to contact you if further opportunities arise.
Spatial DNA is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls. All resumes sent by search firms to any employee at Spatial DNA via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Spatial DNA; no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Spatial DNA as a result of the referral or through other means.
Spatial DNA is committed to building a diverse workforce. We encourage and are pleased to consider applications from all qualified candidates, without regard to race, colour, citizenship, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, aboriginal status, age or disability.