The Director of Business Partnerships will be the senior leader responsible for designing and operationalizing CityWorks DC's employer partnership model. The Director will create and launch a business development process and client success structure that enables management of close, collaborative partnerships with various individuals within a business (i.e., senior executives, HR leaders and hiring managers, and supervisors)-with the ultimate goal of delivering successful work-based learning experiences for young people and driving employer demand for youth apprentices. The Director will also collaborate with other senior leaders to set the strategic direction of CityWorks DC, ensuring the growth and success of initiatives that will transform the education-to-employment pipeline in the area. Finally, the Director will serve as a key spokesperson for CityWorks DC across a range of settings and stakeholder groups.
The ideal candidate brings significant entrepreneurial energy and business acumen to their work and will have a track record of success leading business development initiatives and/or partnerships. They will be exceptional communicators and relationship managers, bringing the ability to build connections with stakeholders at all levels of an organization. They will also be comfortable managing a variety of projects on tight timelines with an eye for continuous improvement. Finally, the successful candidate will be comfortable in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment, willing to provide leadership and direction to a small team as well as step in and roll up their sleeves when needed.
What you'll do
- Business Development and Partnership Management
- Create a long- and short-term business development plan with the senior leadership team that will build strong relationships with key business partners
- Serve as a spokesperson for CityWorks DC and recruit employer partners, including delivering presentations, leading meetings, managing negotiations, and finalizing partnership agreements and terms to ensure a growing number of open youth apprenticeship positions
- Manage ongoing relationships with employers and other critical stakeholders, supporting the development of a robust and engaged community of employer partners
- Develop and implement strategies, initiatives, and policies needed to support effective ongoing business partner management
- Operations and Management
- Serve as a mentor and coach to a growing team focused on high performance, accountability, and collaboration
- Develop and implement systems to improve business processes, increase efficiency, and build the infrastructure to support a rapidly scaling enterprise
- Support the President and other key staff with local and national fundraising efforts
- Strategic Leadership
- Develop key goals and project plans with the CityWorks DC leadership and consultants, translating long-term goals into short-term initiatives that drive measurable impact
- Use a data-driven approach to inform decision-making and engage in cycles of feedback and improvement across the organization
What you'll need
- Deep commitment to achieving racial equity and shared belief in the promise inherent in all young people, including a passion for service, student success, and the ability to connect with students from historically marginalized communities
- Comfort working in an enterprise that is still learning and growing and the desire to work in a fast-paced, dynamic organization
- 10+ years of relevant work experience, including a strong track record of crafting strategic business development plans and driving new business development and growth
- Deep experience with medium and/or large companies and an understanding of their hiring and talent management practices
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to facilitate conversations with stakeholder groups and audiences at a variety of levels and a track record of creating and delivering compelling presentations
- Significant experience leading a team and executing against ambitious performance goals
- Comfort with Salesforce or another CRM system preferred
A little bit about us
CityWorks DC is an entrepreneurial, non-profit venture currently being incubated at CityBridge Education. CityWorks DC's mission is to reshape education-to-employment pathways in Washington, D.C. to dramatically increase the number of young people who secure the family-sustaining jobs appearing in our regional economy. Our vision is that all young people in D.C. graduate from high school with the "social mobility trifecta": 1) valuable certifications and credentials, 2) paid, relevant work experience, and 3) a supportive professional network (i.e., social capital). We are grounded by our core values, including impatience in the face of oppression, trust in the potential inherent in all young people, and the conviction that unlocking that promise requires imagining new possibilities to disrupt structural inequities.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
This is a full-time position based in Washington, DC. We offer a competitive salary and benefits, including healthcare, vision, dental, and 401(k) with employer matching. To apply, please submit a resume and a cover letter detailing your interest in CityWorks DC, your relevant experience managing business partnerships, and your success in a business development-focused position. Note that when you apply, you may upload your resume first, which will populate some application question fields for you.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Our goal is to ensure an inclusive work environment where everyone feels equally valued and respected. We understand the importance of bringing together a team with different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences, and we prioritize learning and reflection within our team. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.