Kids Code Jeunesse is proud to bring computer programming to kids inside and outside of the classroom. The ideal Community Developer believes in the importance of community, understands and knows how to connect people from different groups to build new communities.
This is a diverse role - the Community Developer will be responsible for building a local digital skills learning environment for all Canadian children and their educators. Your role will focus on building relationships in all areas that impact a child’s environment, including classrooms, libraries family festivals, and community centres You will be the first point of contact, on-the-ground, supporting the integration of all Kids Code Jeunesse’s initiatives in your local community. This could include organising events, recruiting volunteers, and arranging other ad hoc projects to get the community excited about and invested in our mission.
Your job will also include local management of our “Code Club” community. Code Club is a free coding initiative KCJ offers in partnership with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. You will support community organizations to help them start Code Clubs and work to recruit local volunteers. You will be supported by our national Code Club Community Leader, to ensure the continued growth of Code Club across the country is streamlined and fully supported.
What you'll do
- Build relationships at the grass-roots level with local educators, schools, local community organizations, including libraries and makerspaces/Fablabs
- Develop creative innovative new partnerships and growth opportunities
- Promote KCJ services in the community, with a focus on building our network of Code Clubs
- Help communities understand what we do and how to integrate our services within their environments
What you'll need
- Enthusiastic and motivated, with a passion for digital technologies and the importance of computing education (but you do not need to be a computer programmer!)
- Experience or interest working and/ or volunteering in your community
- Strong communicator, both written and verbal
- Enjoy presenting in front of small groups and hosting stands at exhibitor events and conferences
- A self-starter with the ability to work well in a remote team environment (comfortable with tools like G Suite, Slack)
- Interest in community outreach, community building
- University degree or equivalent in experience
NICE TO HAVE
- Bilingual (Eng, Fre)
- Volunteer management experience
- Driver’s license
- Willing to work weekends or evenings, to attend monthly meetups or special events, or other networking opportunities
We're looking for
A little bit about us
Kids Code Jeunesse
Kids Code Jeunesse is a Canadian not for profit organization dedicated to empowering children, teachers and parents with the skills we all need to thrive in a technology driven society. By bringing digital learning experiences into the classroom and in communities, we teach Canadians how to be better thinkers and better creators in a digital world.
Kids Code Jeunesse est un organisme canadien à but non lucratif dont la mission est de fournir aux enfants, aux enseignants et aux parents les compétences numériques nécessaires afin de s’épanouir dans une société axée sur la technologie. Grâce à la programmation, tant les enfants que la population canadienne en général apprendront à développer leur réflexion et leur créativité à l’ère numérique.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Kids Code Jeunesse is on a mission to shake-up the digital education landscape for Canadians one classroom and one community at a time, and we need your help to do it. KCJ is a dynamic and extremely supportive work environment where all ideas and opinions are welcomed. We are looking for enthusiastic and innovative team players who want to help us empower Canadians to be better thinkers and better creators in an increasingly digital world.