Position: Associate (Scout for Talent, Material, and Project Leads)
A dream job for people who are obsessed with film and television. Are you a voracious consumer of contemporary culture whether music, television, feature films, books, magazines? Are you in the know about creators and producers of film and television? Are you great at spotting talent before everyone else has taken notice? Do you have a nose for opportunity? Are you great at chasing leads to the point where they become tangible opportunities? Are you fearless about meeting people and getting answers? Can you charm people and win them over? Do you understand the business mechanics of the Film and television industry? If so, you might be the rock start we are seeking…
Who we are
Vanguarde Agents Management represents many of Canada's most sought-after showrunners, screenwriters, directors, cinematographers, line producers, editors, production designers, and composers. With a thoughtfully curated roster, extensive producer and broadcaster relationships across Canada, and strategic alliances internationally, Vanguarde is uniquely positioned to build, grow, and individually shape each of our clients' careers. The Vanguarde team prides itself on representing artists at all stages of their career from emerging to veteran and everything in between.
We are looking for someone who can hunt for truffles. By that we mean seek, research, track, and find both leads and opportunities to discuss and evaluate with the principals of the business. These gems include but not be limited to artists who could become clients. Projects at any stage before opportunities for clients are lost. Material such as books, long form journalism, feature articles, life-rights, podcasts, etc.
What you'll do
- Cultivate relationships with emerging artists
- Identify prospective clients in any area: writers, directors, cinematographers, production designers, music composers.
- Systematically track artists and material.
- Frequent and active ongoing consultation with Vanguarde's principals to review personal work plans, tracking sheets, results, and most importantly discoveries.
- Contribute to Vanguarde's systems for tracking projects and client work opportunities.
- Scour trades, festival lists, prizes, publishing conferences, Film/TV programs, other sources for leads.
- Getting answers by chasing down leads, developing rapport with line producers, and improving and updating our CRM / contact database along the way.
- Formulating and rationalize search plans-where you are mining.
- Conduct early outreach to artists to assess potential fit as a Vanguarde client.
- Review material and provide coverage or other written record of analysis.
- Advocate for and represent Vanguarde as a company in the best possible manner.
What you'll need
Qualities we're looking for…
You'll be a great fit with us if you possess the following:
- Organized and focused: You know how to structure and unstructured task and execute methodically on it.
- Taste: You have cultivated a discerning sensibility and can distinguish what makes a piece of material or artist special and worth while.
- Analytical: You know how to break down why something is great (or the contrary) and explain it clearly and simply.
- Results-orientation: You are driven to turn up tangible results and follow leads through to their ultimate conclusions.
- Great communicator: You are polite, professional, responsive, and friendly in every interaction.
- Working knowledge:
- Familiar with the mechanics of the film/TV business from early development through financing, physical production, and commercial exploitation.
- Working knowledge of the various roles of artist representation in Film/TV.
- You know and understand the breakdown of players are in the industry with an emphasis on the Canadian landscape.
- Personality: You're known to be outgoing and professional with the ability to cultivate the trust and affection of others quickly.
- Disposition: You bring a joy and engagement to your work no matter the task. You see value and opportunity in doing even the smallest task really well. You are respectful and responsive to your employer and are eager for them to be happy with your work and in any interaction whether a quick email or group meeting.
(required) BA from an accredited University or College preferred.
(preferred) MA in a field involving critical thinking, analysis, or creation of culture in fields such as literature, film, theatre, for instance.
We're looking for
A little bit about us
VANGUARDE ARTISTS MANAGEMENT
Vanguarde represents many of Canada's most sought after showrunners, screenwriters, directors, cinematographers, line producers, editors, production designers, and composers. With a thoughtfully curated roster, extensive producer and broadcaster relationships across Canada, and strategic alliances internationally, Vanguarde is uniquely positioned to build, grow, and individually shape each of our clients' careers. The Vanguarde team prides itself on representing artists at all stages of their career from emerging to veteran and everything in between.
We believe that great artistry and creativity deserve intelligent career management and strategy.