Protocase is currently seeking two tenacious, organized Software Developers to join its Research & Development team in Sydney (Cape Breton), Nova Scotia. This is an exciting opportunity for individuals who are driven by the underlying goal of making software that the end user actually wants to use.
Protocase’s Research & Development (R&D) is a busy department within the company, serving many different internal teams with software development and project engineering on a variety of systems and programs. We are a unique ultra-lean manufacturer that provides the upper echelon of scientists and engineers all over the world with rapid custom manufacturing in 2-3 days. Our team of developers is tasked with continually improving and maintaining internal and external software that are crucial to our ongoing productivity, efficiency and growth.
Protocase is proud to offer its customers Protocase Designer, free enclosure-design software that makes it as easy as possible to design, price and order custom enclosures, parts and panels.
In addition to Protocase Designer, our talented team of developers maintains several pieces of business software in Java (along with some work on application add-ons in C#) that are essential to Protocase’s day-to-day operations and ongoing growth.
What you'll do
You are tenacious when it comes to goals and completing projects. You love writing software, and you love seeing what you create come to life, function, and make users' lives better. You understand with deep clarity that if the end user isn't actually using the software, then your work isn't done.
Your duties will include:
- Developing new features and improving current features for our CAD software or internal business software
- Working with internal stakeholders to solve complex problems
- Ensuring our software applications are highly testable, maintainable, and scalable
In order to succeed in this role, you must be a lifelong learner who cares deeply enough about your professional excellence and pushes yourself to learn things.
What you'll need
- Experience in Java
- Technical degree or diploma in Software Development (or related field), or 2+ years' experience
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- You have a goal-oriented personality and love to make things work!
- Attention to detail
- Excellent time-management skills
- Strong analytic skills and problem solving
- Enjoy working in a team environment
- Ability to work independently
- Experience working with legacy software a plus
- CAD experience, mathematical ability, and/or database experience would also be considered assets, but are not required
A little bit about us
- Join a rapidly growing Nova Scotia company that is giving 14,000+ engineers, researchers and innovators all over the world the utmost speed, simplicity and service in custom manufacturing.
- Use your development experience and deep sense of product ownership to continually improve and innovate Protocase's suite of software, including our own CAD software.
- Be rewarded with a competitive annual salary, flexible hours and excellent benefits, including medical, dental, pension plan and more.
- Live and work in a community that has quick commutes, affordable homes on generous plots of land, beautiful scenery and friendly people.
Established in 2001, Protocase Inc. is a rapidly expanding company that focuses on combining advances in software with advanced manufacturing techniques to offer unique custom manufacturing to the engineering, design, and research industries. Using the expertise and dedication of more than 200 employees, Protocase is proud to have a client base of over 14,000 customers throughout North America and around the globe. Customers include Boeing, L3, Raytheon, Google, Apple, Microsoft, NASA, MIT and many more.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
About the Benefits:
This position offers a yearly salary that will range between $39,070 and $85,800 (depending on education and experience). You will also enjoy the following benefits:
- A flexible, exciting and positive work environment
- Medical, Dental, Life Insurance and Group Insurance Benefits at six months
- Two weeks' vacation (three weeks' vacation at three years of employment; four weeks' vacation at five years)
- Company Pension Plan at six months
- Cost-shared YMCA membership for you and your family at three months
- Regular social events, including team lunch & learns and staff parties
- Discounted tickets for Highland Arts Theatre productions
- Access to Protocase Skybox Suite for Screaming Eagles hockey games, as well as tickets for Highlanders Basketball, Boardmore Theatre and Celtic Colours International Festival